What I learned doing an MRI

[Scroll down or click here for Romanian.]

A couple of days ago I had a series of tests done with various doctors, because lately parts of my hands kept going numb and now my back started to hurt, as well. It was most probably because I work on the computer all day and I don’t really pay attention to my posture and to the “sacred” breaks (one every 50 minutes, they say!). And when I say that “I don’t really pay attention” I mean that I spend 90% of the time with one knee almost in my mouth and the other leg stuffed under my butt and I remain stuck in this position for 2 or 3 hours at a time. Still, I figured it would not hurt to see what kind of damage I managed to do to my own body, in hopes of suddenly becoming wiser in the face of real danger (spoiler: the results were innocent enough, I only have “minimal spinal degeneration” – as a friend put it, I’ve always been a minimalist – so I’m writing this in the same awesomely comfortable position I described above).

First, I went to do an electromyogram, a test performed by sending electrical currents along the nerves, which helps the doctor check if there are any disruptions on the way. I loved it, despite the lady doctor’s uneasy warnings – she told me it would be quite unpleasant, that I would certainly be startled by the twitching etc. Maybe I should have mentioned that I am the person who intentionally grabbed an electrified fence just to see what it feels like. And that, in my childhood home, the casual dinner conversation included the latest gossip about diseases my doctor parents encountered at work. Therefore, I found this 4D lesson in anatomy absolutely delicious. I watched each finger twitch by itself and felt every inch of my nerves activate, which was fascinating and positively electrifying, so I recommend it warmly.

I hoped I would also enjoy the MRI, since my odd curiosity should have kicked in there, as well, but I was horribly mistaken. The doctor lost me when he asked if I was claustrophobic – of course I had known all along that I was going to go into a narrow machine, I mean, I watched enough doctor soap-operas and heard a fair number of stories, including the absolutely adorable description Cosmin’s grandfather came up with, who told me he had been taken to the hospital and inserted into “a huge oven”. But you know what they say about counting chickens before they are hatched…

I couldn’t say that I am claustrophobic, but I do have some weird reactions when I see that things are tighter than usual around me. I’ll more often have an issue with being squeezed between masses of people, as I’ve been known to faint in churches, cinemas, event halls, planes or metros. But this was a whole different thing, no other soul would be joining me in there, it would be just the oven and I. So I could do this. No problem. Or was there?

The second issue was that the nice doctor locked my head in a kind of plastic frame, with two pads instead of headphones to cover my ears. So I was in the oven and something held my head in a tight squeeze. And I wasn’t supposed to move a muscle, either. “Every move you make can cost you 5 more minutes in there”, the doctor threatened. It was getting more interesting every moment.

Third issue: I didn’t get a little pump. Everybody told me about the little pump I’d be given to hold in my hand, which I could press if something were to go wrong. Well, I got none. Instead, they told me that I was supposed to wave my leg if there were trouble, so the people in the neighboring room could see I wasn’t OK. Nothing could be simpler. When desperation is about, all you have to do is click your heels and you’ll wake up at home. Ok, but what if I tap my foot nervously? I’m not kidding, it’s a well-known thing that the people in our family have this tic where they keep moving their foot. Or what if I faint? Okay, if I faint, the pump won’t be much help either, but still, people who are out cold hardly ever move their feet, and that’s a fact.

The guy pressed the button and the bed started moving inside the machine. I had my heart in my throat, beating wildly, I could feel it just like I felt the heart of the chicks I used to play with as a child, taking them in the palm of my hand and making them tremble with fear. Now, this machine was holding me in the palm of its hand and it was about to start playing. It was already breathing like a kind of pregnant hippo, it had been doing that since I had arrived – and I really hate breathing at the same time as some… thing else. I always feel that I have to keep the pace, but I can’t, and I invariably start to hypo or hyperventilate. Then, it started sarcastically clicking its tongue at me, then it went on to buzz and hum, very very closely, right next to my poor tied up head. The weirdest thing was that the noise both scared me, and soothed me, as long as it stayed regular. I couldn’t for the life of me decide if I would say it was more stressful, or more calming. As long as you follow a rhythm, your brain is busy, at least. And there was surely nothing else I could do to keep busy, because the noise was simply too loud. I tried to think of anything at all, at one point I resolved to calculate the Fibonacci sequence, but I hardly made it to 34. The only thing I was able to do was to imagine, to the techno rhythm all around me, a continuous loop of my nephew Maxie, whom I had seen earlier on Facetime, struggling to climb a stool only to slip back down to the floor, due to the weight of his round diapered baby bottom. I must admit that this trick made me quite calm, indeed. It would have made for an awesome video.

I knew that I had to suffer through 45 minutes and two sequences: cervical spine first, then the lumber spine. I was trying to catch the exact moment when we would go from one sequence to the next, that brief pause when the succession of sounds would start to repeat itself, but it never came, and I felt so damned betrayed. It can’t be, it can’t be, I have been lying here for soooo lung, and we haven’t yet reached half of the time! In the last couple of minutes, the noise was louder than ever and exactly like that scene in science fiction movies when the alien robots are landing. That was the moment I thought I was ready to give up, I was sure I was about to faint – be still, my feet, I kept telling myself, while I was trying my best to ignore the ever-stronger burn I felt in the part of my skull which was pressed on the bed.

And then, there was silence. And more silence. And even more silence. I was thinking, these bastards! Look at how long they’re making me wait between sequences, lying still like an idiot, like a Christ with no arms and with nailed-down feet, of course, otherwise we’d have to start all over. But, suddenly, I noticed that I was moving too far out to be re-positioned: they were really getting me out of the machine, and soon I started to see a foggy image of the technician. What the hell did I do wrong? I was sure I stood still. Why is this guy here to scorn me?

But, lo and behold, it was over! It had already been 45 minutes and little Maxie and his bum had helped me get over the entire torture. It’s been a long while since I felt such sincere happiness. On the one hand, it was over in a moment when I was sure I was only halfway through. When is the last time that happened to you? Something ending up shorter, easier, better than you expected? Eh? That’s one magnetic, nuclear even, dose of optimism right there.

And on the other hand, I only so seldom end up finishing anything at all, these days. I mean, yeah, I start projects, I finish projects, but these projects are so rarely truly finite. Most of them arrive half processed by who knows whom, who knows when, you just have to patch up a sentence or two for your own peace of mind and, if you don’t want to fight with the client, you have to ignore most of what monsters lie in the parts you aren’t responsible for. Also, there is never just one project underway, there are usually 2-3-6 projects in the making or in waiting, so, even though you pedal frantically trying to FINISH, you are never really at the end, just in this never-ending sequence of tasks buzzing in your brain like a hive of bees or – hey, guess what, I learned a new term of comparison – like an MRI machine…

So, after this new experience, beside the souvenir photos of my minimal spine degradation, I am left with this almost forgotten feeling that things do end, and that there is hope for new beginnings. Or, better said, that „It’s always darkest before the dawn”. Here’s to that!

thank you 300x100

Ce-i de învățat la RMN

Acum câteva zile am fost să-mi fac niște investigații pe la diverși medici, fiindcă de la o vreme îmi amorțesc mâinile tot mai des și a-nceput să mă doară și spatele. E foarte probabil din cauză că lucrez toată ziua la calculator și nu prea am grijă la postură și la pauze. „Nu am grijă” însemnând că stau cu un genunchi la gură și cu celălalt copan sub fund cam 90% din timp și nu mă mișc din poziție câte 2-3 ore odată. Totuși, m-am gândit că n-ar strica să văd ce fel de daune mi-am provocat singură, că poate-poate o să mă înțelepțesc puțin dacă văd că se-ngroașă gluma. (Spoiler: rezultatele au fost bune, nu am decât degenerescențe „minimale” – cum spunea o prietenă, sunt minimalistă – și deci vă scriu din aceeași poziție deosebit de confortabilă.)


Întâi am fost la electromiogramă, o analiză care se realizează prin transmiterea de curenți electrici de-a lungul nervilor, cu ajutorul cărora medicul verifică dacă apar întreruperi pe traseu. Mi-a plăcut la nebunie, în ciuda avertismentelor jenate ale doamnei respective că va fi neplăcut, că o să mă sperii, etc. Poate ar fi trebuit să îi menționez că sunt omul care a pus dinadins mâna pe un gard electric doar ca să vadă cum se simte. Și că la mine acasă, când eram copil, la masa de seară se vorbea despre cele mai recente boli întâlnite de părinții mei pe la muncă. Așadar, această lecție de anatomie în 4D mi s-a părut absolut delicioasă. Am văzut pe rând fiecare deget cum tresare singur, în timp ce simțeam efectiv fiecare milimetru din nerv activându-se. Ceva fascinant, electrizant de-a dreptul, recomand cu căldură.

Speram că o să-mi placă și la RMN, mizând pe același gen de curiozități ciudate, dar n-a fost să fie chiar așa. M-am cam pierdut de când m-a întrebat tehnicianul dacă sunt claustrofobă – bineînțeles că știam că o să intru într-o mașinărie îngustă, doar am văzut suficiente filme cu doctori și am auzit destule povești, inclusiv relatarea absolut savuroasă a bunicului lui Cosmin, despre cum a fost la spital și l-au băgat în „cuptorul acela”. Dar știți treaba cu socoteala de-acasă și cea din târg…

Claustrofobă nu sunt, dar am unele reacții dubioase când lucrurile se strâng în jurul meu. De obicei, are de-a face mai mult cu senzația de a fi strânsă între oameni, vezi multiplele leșinuri sau aproape leșinuri suferite în biserici, cinematografe, săli de spectacol, avioane sau metrouri. Dar asta era altceva, n-avea să fie nici țipenie de om lângă mine, doar eu și cuptorul. I can do this. No problem. Or is there?

A doua problemă a fost când nenea mi-a imobilizat capul într-un soi de cadru din plastic, cu două pernuțe în loc de căști pentru urechi. Deci eram în cuptor și o chestie mă ținea strâns de cap. Și n-aveam voie să mă mișc deloc. „Fiecare mișcare poate să-nsemne 5 minute în plus.”, m-a amenințat medicul. Era din ce în ce mai interesant.

Problema trei: nu am primit pompiță. Toată lumea zicea că o să primesc o pompiță, ca să apăs pe ea dacă e ceva în neregulă. Ei bine, aici nu. Aici am fost instruită că, dacă e vreo problemă, trebuie să dau din picioare, cât să se prindă oamenii din camera alăturată că nu mi-e bine. Nimic mai simplu. Când te apucă disperarea, all you have to do is să bați din călcâie și te vei trezi acasă. Ok, dar dacă dau din picior involuntar? Nu de alta, dar la noi în familie e un tic binecunoscut ăsta, bâțâitul din picior. Sau dacă leșin? Bine, dacă leșin, nici pompița nu mă prea ajută, but still, leșinații nu joacă mărunțel din picioare, asta e clar.

Nenea a apăsat pe buton, patul a început să se deplaseze înăuntru, inima îmi stătea în gât şi bătea bezmetic, ca la puii de găină pe care îi înnebuneam de frică, luându-i în palmă când eram copil. Acum, aparatul mă strângea pe mine în palmă şi, în curând, avea să înceapă să se joace cu mine. Deja respira ca un soi de hipopotam gestant, încă de când intrasem în cameră – iar eu urăsc să respir în paralel cu o altă… entitate, mi se pare mereu că trebuie să țin ritmul şi ajung invariabil să hiper sau hipoventilez. După care a început să pocnească din limbă, batjocoritor, apoi să ţiuie şi să bâzâie, mereu foarte aproape, chiar lângă capul meu prins în chingi. Cel mai ciudat mi se părea că zgomotul mă și speria, mă și calma, atâta timp cât era regulat. Nu mă puteam hotărî dacă e mai mult stresant sau mai mult liniștitor. Când urmărești un ritm ai măcar creierul ocupat. Oricum, cu altceva nu mă puteam ocupa, fiindcă zgomotul era pur și simplu prea tare. Am încercat să mă gândesc la orice, la un moment dat începusem chiar să calculez șirul lui Fibonacci, dar nici măcar n-am reușit să trec de 34. Singurul lucru de care am fost în stare a fost să-mi imaginez, în buclă continuă, pe ritmul tehno din jur, pe nepotul Maxie, pe care îl văzusem mai devreme pe Facetime, cum se cățăra pe un taburet doar ca să lunece înapoi pe podea, sub greutatea poponeței sale rotunde și înscutecite de bebeluș. Recunosc că treaba asta m-a mai calmat cât de cât. Ar face un videoclip bestial.

Știam că trebuie să suport 45 de minute, două secvențe, întâi cervical, apoi lombar. Încercam să discern momentul în care vom trece de la o secvenţă la alta, adică momentul de pauză după care succesiunea de sunete va începe să se repete, dar el nu a venit niciodată și mă simțeam atât de al naibii de trădată. Nu se poate, nu se poate, mi se pare că stau aici de atât de mult timp, și de fapt nici măcar nu am ajuns la jumate! În ultima perioadă zgomotul a fost mai puternic ca oricând și fix ca-n filmele SF în care vine o invazie de roboți extratereștri. Acela a fost momentul în care am crezut că am să renunţ, eram convinsă că-s pe punctul să leșin – be still, my feet, îmi ziceam, în vreme ce mă străduiam din răsputeri să ignor senzația de arsură tot mai puternică pe care o simțeam în zona din craniu cu care stăteam lipită de pat.

După care, liniște. Și liniște. Și iarăși liniște. Mă gândeam, uite, nenorociții, cât mă țin între secvențe, nemișcată așa. ca un Hristos fără brațe, și cu picioarele bătute în cuie, desigur, că altfel trebuie să o luăm de la capăt. Dar m-am trezit că mă mișc îndelung înapoi, semn că nu mă repoziționează, ci chiar mă scot, până am început să-l văd în ceață pe nenea tehnicianul. Ce Dumnezeu am greșit? Eram sigură că am stat cuminte? La ce-a venit ăsta să mă certe?

Când colo, se terminase! Trecuseră 45 de minute, iar micul Maxie și fundul lui mă trecuseră cu bine de tot chinul. N-am simțit bucurie mai sinceră de foarte multă vreme. O dată că am terminat într-un moment în care eram sigură că sunt abia la jumătate. Când e ultima dată când vi s-a întâmplat asta? Să fie ceva mai scurt, mai ușor, mai bine decât te așteptai? Eh? Iată o doză magnetică, nucleară chiar, de optimism right here.
Și-apoi, în viața mea de zi cu zi atât de rar mi se mai întâmplă să termin cu adevărat ceva. Adică, desigur, încep proiecte, termin proiecte, dar atât de rar sunt cu adevărat finite proiectele astea. Cele mai multe vin pe jumătate făcute de te miri cine, te miri când, iar tu trebuie să peticești câte-o propoziție ici și colo, dacă se poate, pentru propria sănătate mintală și ca să nu te cerți cu clientul, ignorând în mare parte ce monștri se ascund în bucățile de care nu ești tu răspunzător. În plus, nu e niciodată un singur proiect în vizor, de unde, sunt mereu 2-3-6 proiecte în derulare și-n în așteptare, deci, deși pedalezi frenetic tocmai cu senzația că mai ai puțin și apoi SE TERMINĂ, de terminat nu se termină, de fapt, niciodată, ci ești prins în șirul ăsta nesfârșit de taskuri care îți bâzâie în creier ca un roi de albine sau, iată, am învățat o nouă comparație, ca un aparat RMN…
Așadar, în urma acestei experiențe, pe lângă poze suvenir cu degenerescențele mele minimaliste, am rămas și cu sentimentul aproape uitat că lucrurile se mai și sfârșesc, și că e loc și de noi începuturi. Sau, vorba aia, „It’s always darkest before the dawn”. Here’s to that!
M 100x100

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: